I am so excited about the upcoming launch of my new novella, The Truth About Us, and I most certainly cannot wait to give everyone the opportunity to read a good story once it's published. I started this novella about five years ago, one boring day after an undergrad lecture. I felt the urge to write something, to compose anything. I wanted to write a short story, and ideas started coming to me about how the theme would go, how the characters would be, and so on. So i took out my phone, and started typing away.
And then, I completely abandoned it after writing three chapters.
I just couldn't find the words to continue with this particular project, so I started and completed other projects, but left my precious work hanging. I knew what would eventually happen at the end of my plot, but how was I to bring my reader to that place? As with most writers ( or perhaps just me), I caught the dreaded writer's block on this one and eventually tossed it aside. For more than five years.
It was a complete out-of-sight-out-of-mind situation, and it wasn't until 2013 that I thought about it again, picked it up, and decided to follow through. Of course, I've had to change some of the plot scenarios I had initially, but the original theme remains. To give a brief synopsis, it's about a loving couple, Aaron and Eden, and their only child, Timothy, and what happens when an old secret hunts them down and threatens to destroy the life they've all built as a family. (Full synopsis here)
The novella is told in two different narrative voices, Aaron's (told in the first person) and Eden's (told in the 3rd person). The latter is kind of complex because, although we get to know what Eden is thinking, it is not narrated by Eden exactly, but by a third (unknown) narrator. People ask me how I can write books in which the narrative voice is male, given that I am female. Truth be told, I really don't know how I do it, I just know that I can, it works, and it's great. It does take a lot, I have to say. A lot of thinking, research, brain teasing, brain electrocuting (!), but it works.
I can't tell too much without giving much away, but you can read an excerpt here. To be honest, I no longer remember how I came up with that story idea, I'm not sure what my inspiration for it was, but I can assure you, it is a beautiful story. I cannot wait to have it out there, after all, it's been almost six years in the making! Although the work is finished, it is now going through various stages of editing that is absolutely necessary to undertake before it can be finally ready. In a few more blogs, I'll be permitted to announce the exact publishing date for The Truth About Us.
What to get from this post? Well, look out for my new novella, is all I can say! Sign up for my newsletter on my website below to get email updates about my published and upcoming books!
'Til next time...

No comments:
Post a Comment